Yoga classes explained
Summer term 2022:
Most weekly classes remain online. Please note the timetable below – it’s slightly irregular this term!
In-person classes this term
Tuesday, 3rd May, and Tuesday 7th June 11.00 – 12.15, Life Balance Studio, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
Group Classes: The group dynamic and regularity of weekly classes is appealing to many people. Although we practise with focus and in silence, there is a strong sense of communication in the room, which often leads to friendships being formed outside the studio.
I generally take a theme for a term or half-term and allow the practice to develop over the weeks. The practice is always informed by the philosophical teaching of yoga and has a definite ‘shape’ – the work with postures and breath put together specifically to explore the theme. The practice is a reflective experience as well as a physical and energetic one, and its effects can often allow for change in our daily lives.
Timetable, Summer term 2022:
- Week 1: Tuesday, 26th April; 5.15pm; Week 2: Tuesday, 3rd May, 5.15pm; Week 3: Monday, 9th May 9.15am; Week 4: Tuesday, 24th May, 5.15pm; Tuesday, 7th June, 5.15pm
- NB: NO CLASS weeks beginning 16th May and 30th May
- There may be a class on Tuesdays 21st and 28th June, subject to demand. Watch this space…
- Cost: Classes are €15 each. Payment is by the term or half-term either by bank transfer or else by PayPal via my email address. Please contact me and I will send my bank details. Concessions are available for people in financial difficulty. Do contact me and we can discuss alternatives. NB: If you are unable to attend a class, you can catch up at any time on the recording. If you know in advance that you will be away for several classes, please let me know and we can come to an arrangement.
- In person classes Tuesdays 3rd May and 7th June, 11am, Life Balance Studio, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, https://www.lifebalance.ie/
- Bring your own mat, blocks/stool etc. Please let me know in advance if you wish to attend these classes, as space is limited.
The classes are open to everyone. When you enrol, you will need to fill in a Confidential Information Form with details of any health issues. I plan the classes to suit the needs of each individual in the group. There may be some instances where I’d recommend coming to individual sessions, either initially or on an ongoing basis.
Classes are 75 minutes long. We work with āsana (always with conscious use of the breath), prāṇāyāma and seated meditative practice. We sometimes also work with sound in the postures, and simple chant.
Please wear comfortable clothing, bring a yoga mat, and blocks, a cushion and/or meditation stool to sit on. The studio is fully equipped, but for health and safely reasons during the Covid19 situation, you MUST provide your own equipment. Some equipment is available for sale at the studio.
It is really important that you are truly comfortable when sitting in a yoga class. You need to sit with your spine free and unsupported where possible, so do allow yourself all the support you need. Chairs are provided for those who need them, and I’d beg with you to sit on a chair rather than being in agony on the floor!